Sunday 31 May 2009

USING LIKE

" Kissing - and I mean like, yummy, smacking kissing - is the most delicious, most beautiful and passionate thing that two people can do, bar none. " - Drew Barrymore

The word like has become increasingly popular over the years. Now it is one of the most used words in all of English, particularly conversational English. It is extremely useful if you know how to use it properly.

Use 1 - Like meaning "I´m thinking about what to say" (similar to tipo in Portuguese).

Do you think you and Janet are going to get married ? don´t know...Like...I want to, but then again I´m kind of scared, you know ? Usual position: Almost anywhere.

Use 2 - Like ("be like") for reported speech or thought.

You broke up with her? Wow. How did she take it? She was like "What! After all I´ve done for you?" Usual position: After subject pronoun.

From "Como dizer tudo em Inglês Avançado" by Ron Martinez.

Do you use "like" a lot? Can you think of other uses of "like"? Apart form the ones above, there are 6 more! Check them out on 9 June.

8 comments:

  1. I think the following is a pretty common way to use like:
    "I don't feel like going out tonight."

    Helio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love travelling, but "nothing feels like home".

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Like" is so very much used in the English language but we have to be careful so as to not to overdo it. I suppose "what´s the weather like?" is another way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Helio, Simone, DanuzaHi bloggers!You're really good at this "like" thing! It's like you know all about it. Ha! Ha! Ha!Jokes apart, I'm with you, Danuza, some people overuse "like" probably because they think it can raplace any item of vocabulary. Well, it can't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris,
    Perhaps what happens is that when we are speaking we don't pay much attention. Some people, without realizing, overuse not only the word "like".
    I can see that you and I are of like mind on this issue.
    See You

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is really interesting! I was used to reapeating the word LIKE, however, I think I could get rid off it. It is important not to repeat it on a speaking exam because it may seem that we don´t know a wide range of vocab.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Andrea

    Hi honey,

    Yes! You and I are definitely like-minded.
    Ha! Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Larissa

    Hi sweetie,

    You're right. Examiners do tend to frown at "like" overdose. All you candidates out there, be aware!

    ReplyDelete